Mission Statement


Loving God, Loving Each Other!


"We are children of God who welcome all to Fellowship, sing praises and worship to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. With the help of the Holy Spirit, who guides us as we spend time in the Word as well as in Prayer & Petition for the needs of many."

"Little is much... when God is in it."

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Dr. Barclay with Something to Think About - I AM






 I AM


When Moses asked God His name at the burning bush, God replied that His name was  “I AM WHO I AM…Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you’” (Exodus 3:14).


In the times of the Old Testament, God had been known by a number of names. So, it always seemed a little unusual that He would give this name to Moses when He was already known by Jehovah, Eloheim, Yahweh, Adonai and many others. Why then would He represent Himself by another name not already known? Probably for at least three reasons.


First, it implied God’s permanence. He always was and always will be. There never was nor will there ever be a time when He’s just not. “I AM God Almighty” He said in Genesis 35:11, and Jesus, in John 8:58, said “before Abraham was, I AM.” Jesus also said: “I AM the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End…who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty” (Revelation 1:8).


Second, it gives a continuance between God the Father and Christ the Son. In John, the high Christology of his gospel is underlined by this picture of Jesus identity:


I AM the bread of life. (John 6:48)

I AM the light of the world. (John 8:12)

I AM the door. (John 10:9)

I AM the Good Shepherd. (John 10:11)

I AM the resurrection and the life. (John 11:25)

I AM the way, the truth, and the life. (John 14:6)

   I AM the true vine. (John 15:1)*


Seven statements, the number of completion and perfection which shows that Jesus completely and perfectly was the prophet implied in Deuteronomy 18. “I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him” (Deuteronomy 18:18).


Finally, it further emphasizes the meaning of the First Commandment: “You shall have no other gods before Me” (Exodus 20:3). Whenever we referring to ourselves and what we can do as the greatest, the best, the fastest, etc., we place ourselves in the “I AM” position. In fact  we tend to make ourselves as a god in place of the true God whose name is really I AM. We really can do nothing, be nothing, or accomplish anything without God’s help,  Therefore, we must be careful not to replace the true I AM with our own I am. 


In many ways it seems like a small thing, but it is certainly something we should think about.


*In part from Mysteries of the Messiah pg. 100 by Rabbi Jason Sobel




No comments:

Post a Comment