Mission Statement


Loving God, Loving Each Other!


"We are children of God who welcome all to Fellowship, sing praises and worship to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. With the help of the Holy Spirit, who guides us as we spend time in the Word as well as in Prayer & Petition for the needs of many."

"Little is much... when God is in it."

Monday, May 9, 2022

Dr. Barclay with Something to Think About - I AM







 I AM

It has been the consensus of most people that Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible. So, when God sought him in the wilderness and requested that he lead His people from their captivity in Egypt to freedom, he probably should not have been too surprised when, asking God the name of the One sending him to Egypt, the reply that came back was: “…‘I AM WHO I AM…I AM has sent..you’” (Exodus 3:14). Perhaps Moses did not recall, or remember at the time, that in Genesis, God uses this term seven times to refer to Himself; using the term at times more than once.


He states: “…I AM your shield…” (Genesis 15:1) a word from the Lord to Abram indicating His protection.


Then He said: “…I AM the Lord…” (Genesis 15:7) again to Abram and in the context of what was being said, indicating the He can provide whatever is needed.


He again said to Abram “…I AM Almighty God…” (Genesis 17:1) when he doubted God’s ability to grant a child to a person so old. God indicated He could do all things.


He said that “…I AM the God of your father Abraham…” (Genesis 26:24) to Issac when he was having problems, reminding him of who He was and of his heritage.


In addition He said that: “…I AM with you…” (Genesis 26:24) reminding him (and us) that He is always near.


Further, He said to Jacob “I AM the God of Bethel…” (Genesis 31:13) reminding him that what God did in one place, He will continue to do in others.


And so towards the end of Genesis, He once more reminded Israel that: “…I AM God, the God of your father; do not fear…” (Genesis 46:3).


It’s interesting that God, in the first book of the Bible, revealed seven of His attributes, by the saying “I AM” in seven different ways because Jesus then, in the Book of John, revealed seven corresponding attributes in the same way.


In John, He proclaimed: “…I AM the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst” (John 6:35). Jesus indicated He could provide what ever is really needed.


He also said “…I AM the light of the world” (John 9:5). Indicating that He will show us the right path to follow.


He told us in John: “I AM the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved…”(10:9)  not just signifying that He would show us the right path but that He was the only path.


He went on to say in the next verse: “I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep” indicating His protection and that He would always be close by.


He said: “…I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live” (John 11:25), thus with His promised protection and this reassurance, one should not truly fear.


In John 14:6 He goes even further by saying: “…I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through Me,” showing to all that He was truly Almighty God.


And lastly, He proclaimed that “I AM the vine, you are the branches, He who abides Me, and I in him, bear much fruit: for without Me you can do nothing” (John 15:5). He is the source from which all springs and as such, He is the God on whom Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and others had been dependant. This was emphasized in John 8:58 when He said: “…before Abraham was, I AM.”

Moses may not have had the same opportunity to appreciate the name God used to refer to Himself as we have, but with the Bible we should be able to appreciate more readily how Jesus used the same name to confirm that He was, indeed, God.


One more thing to look at and think about.







 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment