Mission Statement


Loving God, Loving Each Other!


"We are children of God who welcome all to Fellowship, sing praises and worship to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. With the help of the Holy Spirit, who guides us as we spend time in the Word as well as in Prayer & Petition for the needs of many."

"Little is much... when God is in it."

Monday, September 4, 2023

Dr. Barclay with Something to Think About - I AM - PART 2





 I AM - PART 2

When Moses was at the burning bush near Mt. Horeb, God spoke to him and said:


…I am the God of your father - the God of Abraham, 

the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob… 

(Exodus 3:6)

When Moses asked by what name God should be called when he met the children of Israel, God replied:


…I AM WHO I AM…

You shall say to the children of Israel, 

‘I AM has sent me to you’… 

(Exodus 3:14)


At first glance, this seems to be a very bland name to designate the creator and ruler of the universe. After all, the pagan gods had much more illustrative names. For instance, the god Thor had a name suggestive of power and strength. The name Venus or Aphrodite conjures up the idea of sensuality, and even Baal has a mysterious quality to it. But I AM on the surface really does little to impress.


Creating an impression apparently, however, was not the purpose. As mentioned in a  previous writing, the name I AM creates a continuance between God the Father and Christ the Son. In John, we are given the picture of Jesus identity.


I AM the bread of life. (6:48)

I AM the light of the world. (8:12)

I AM the door. (10:9)

I AM the Good Shepherd. (10:11)

I AM the resurrection and the life. (11:25)

I AM the way, the truth, and the life. (14:6)

I AM the true vine. (15:1)*


In addition to all of the above, there is another reason for the name I AM. You see, our existence comes because God exists and in essence we are totally dependent upon Him. This is very evident when we try to speak about anything regarding ourselves because we cannot without first speaking the name of God. His Name, therefore, always precedes anything we say pertaining to ourselves. Whether it refers to a name (I am called…), a profession (I am a…), an event (I am going to…), or even travel (I am travelling to…) the name, and thus the presence of God, precedes. In times of joy (I am cheerful), sorrow (I am downcast), or fear (I am anxious) God is also right there with us and precedes us.


Since our existence comes from His existence, we should always put Him first and the presence of His name preceding everything we are and do should always remind us of this fact. We have our life from Him and we are to live for Him, and by so doing we can all truly say I am His.**


Just a little something to think about.


*In part from Mysteries of the Messiah pg 100 by Rabbi Jason Sobel

** Based in part on day 2 The Book of Mysteries by Jonathan Can


No comments:

Post a Comment