Mission Statement


Loving God, Loving Each Other!


"We are children of God who welcome all to Fellowship, sing praises and worship to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. With the help of the Holy Spirit, who guides us as we spend time in the Word as well as in Prayer & Petition for the needs of many."

"Little is much... when God is in it."

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Pastor Caroline - Wednesday July 14, 2021 - Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

 







Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus



Let’s look at this chorus today. 



Turn your eyes upon Jesus

Look full in His wonderful face

And the things of earth

Will grow strangely dim

In the light of His glory and grace.

 

Helen Howarth Lemelle wrote this chorus and over the years we have sung it in church a thousand times.

 

Now I cannot assume to know the thoughts of the author when she penned this. I can only speak about how this chorus speaks to me, line by line. So please let me share with you my thoughts.

 

Turn your eyes upon Jesus–When I turn my eyes upon Jesus, I immediately look up-Jesus is not in this world so I need not look for Him here. I am reminded that because I have accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour I am not of this world. In John Chapter 18 Verse 36, Jesus reminds us that His kingdom is not of this world and in 1 John Chapter 2 Verse 15 Jesus tells us;

(15) Do not love the world or anything that belongs to the world. If you love the world, you do not love the Father.

When we live according to the world standards we live by our thoughts, emotions, reactions etc., set by the standards of the world, but when we have Jesus in our life we look up to Him, He who will set our feet in the right direction and our thoughts, emotions and actions shall be more like Christ when we follow Him. We will think like Jesus, feel like Jesus, (be compassionate) and act as Jesus would/does.

 

Look full in His wonderful face -

You’ve seen many pictures of Jesus over the years I’m sure. When I picture in my mind’s eye the face of Jesus, I see a face that is gentle, kind, loving, strong and welcoming. It is a face that draws me close as His eyes draw my attention, the strength I see in His cheekbones erases my fear, His lips speak my name gently and I want to run into His arms where I know I will be safe. His face to me speaks of an extraordinary person and His countenance speaks of love. Over the years we’ve seen many films where someone plays the role of Jesus so I can only imagine what Jesus truly looked like. Many images have come forth over the 2000 plus years since His death so naturally we are not certain of His true image but we can bring to mind what we think He looked like.

 

And the things of earth

Will grow strangely dim -

When I look up to Jesus, my focus is removed from the world. I focus on heavenly things, the very One who created all things, the very One who is seated upon the throne, and the only One who can erase my past and sin because of His sacrificial love. My thoughts change when I look up to where my help comes from. I feel peace and my strength is renewed because of Christ.

Psalm 123 verse 1 in my Good News Bible reminds me;

(1) Lord, I look up to you, up to heaven, where you rule.

I know God is in control and knowing that brings me wonderful peace and comfort.

 

In the light of His glory and grace -

When I turn a light on in a dark room, all of a sudden I can see everything there, where before, when I entered into the darkness everything was hidden from me. To move about in the darkness we move cautiously but when light marks our path we move confidently. When I am in the light of His glory and grace I move confidently knowing He goes before me. One day we will not need the sun, moon and stars for light for God’s light is so bright it will illuminate the heavens. Remember when Moses wanted to see God’s face? God told him in Exodus 33 verse 20

(20) I will not let you see my face, because no one can see me and stay alive.

As we read the scripture where Moses requested in verse 18, “Please let me see the dazzling light of your presence”, he really wanted to see the face of God. But the glory of the Lord is so bright it is blinding to our natural eye. So when I think of His glory and grace I picture the light of God illuminating my way and the grace of God, which is a gift I do not deserve but am so divinely given; because of my Saviour, Jesus Christ. The forgiveness and blessings which I receive on a daily basis are always reminders to me, of the love of God and how much He cares for me.

In Ephesians Chapter 4 Verse 7, again from the Good News Bible we read;

(7) Each one of us has received a special gift in proportion to what Christ has given.

 

So in this chorus I receive much when I take it line by line and think of it according to the word of God. I know I am not of this world, I am only passing through to my heavenly home where one day Jesus and I will meet face-to-face. Glory hallelujah!! The memory of this world will be erased from my mind as I stand in the illuminating light of Him, who is my Saviour, Redeemer and Eternal Father.

 

So turn your eyes upon Jesus

Look full in His wonderful face

And the things of earth

Will grow strangely dim

In the light of His glory and grace.

 

Enjoy your week ahead and keep Jesus in your sight.





No comments:

Post a Comment